Friday, June 25, 2010

Data Projection

It wasn’t too difficult to come up with a project using a SMARTBoard for art. It seems like a hands-on tool like that would be perfect in my classroom. I found http://www.nga.gov/kids/zone/jungle.htm while searching for projects that had to do with the jungle and saw a huge opportunity to use it in my classroom. I do not currently have a SMARTBoard, so I have not been able to implement this, but I plan to as soon as I move into my new classroom next year.
Integrating Technology into Teaching on page 184 mentions that a SMART Board or other interactive white board will not make a poor lesson plan better, but will enhance a good lesson plan. I hope my lesson plans will be effective and fun for my students, and I think that the SMART Board will help me with this.
One fear I have is the use of other markers on the board. I have heard horror stories about Sharpies being used, and the entire SMART Board having to be replaced. The board alone costs around $1300, and the projectors run about $800. It really adds up when you add cords, instillation fees, software, etc. I’m blessed that I will have one in my room already, and I will be careful to keep students with markers away from it.

1 comment:

  1. That is exciting that you will have a SMART board in your near future! Your idea for the jungle lesson sounds neat for an art class! It will definitely be hands-on and I am sure your students will appreciate (and take care of) the expensive technology. :)

    ReplyDelete