Friday, July 2, 2010

Podcasting

One of my favorite projects that I teach is my 4th grade Graphic design project. I have taught this lesson 3 times, and each time it has changed. I try to integrate things from student’s everyday life as much as possible, so the information they learn in the classroom relates to their real world. Graphic design is something almost everyone sees every day. Even the computer screen you’re looking at right now has been effected by a graphic designer in some way (I see DELL on mine).
I am a story teller, and I love to talk. When I thought of a podcast I could create to go along with a lesson I thought of the funny stories and phrases I come up with when doing this project, and I thought they would be fun to record. I wanted to make something that would be entertaining. It is difficult to keep students engaged, and I know that students respond better when humor is involved. I also know that an effective teacher tries to relate lessons to the “real-world” in order to make the learning experience meaningful for students.
Podcasting can be relatively inexpensive. I used Audacity to record my podcasts, which is free to download. Microphones can be found pretty reasonably as well. I just found one on Amazon.com for $0.01. http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Flexible-Microphone-Laptop-Skype/dp/B00284VD02/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278100030&sr=8-3 I’m not sure of the quality of the microphone, but it seems affordable. Others seem to range around $15-$25 depending on the brand. If you want a combo Microphone-Headset they range from $0.01 to $45.
I am looking forward to using podcasts in my classroom. I hope to do podcasts with extra information that my students can access about projects and pieces of art from their own homes.

2 comments:

  1. I like your idea for incorporating podcasts into the art classroom. I think you would really enjoy your second suggestion with creating a podcast with the extra info for students to investigate at home. You may be surprised at how many kids actually use it and then come ask you questions or want more info. You would be opening a big door for them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that keeping students engaged is key and that a bit of entertainment is always a good way to do that. Were you going to create the podcast and play it for students? Or, were you having them create a podcast to go with their graphic design project? Either way, it sounds like a great way to bring another type of learning into your classroom.

    ReplyDelete