Sunday, July 18, 2010

Collaborative Technology

I love the idea of collaborative technology, though I didn’t see how it could be practical in a school with 800+ kids until I started thinking of the information that can be found online. When I need to know something, I go to google, type in my question, and within seconds I have the answer, or something in the ballpark to go on. I then thought of all of the information I teach my students in a year. How much of it goes in one ear and out the other? How many of the kids would like to see or hear the information again but don’t have a chance? I know that students learn on their own time, and some learn better at different times than others. I thought it would be great to create our own little Wikipedia, I’d call Gracemorpedia, and have the students write the articles.
I went and made http://gracemorpedia.pbworks.com/ for free that we can use as a school if other teachers are interested. Everything else needed to do it should be readily available, internet access, word processing software, and image software are already on the computers. I would just take the students’ saved work and upload it into the wiki.
I think this would be an awesome tool in any classroom, or even school wide. I hope to introduce it to my colleges, and hopefully get our own little wiki world going at Gracemor!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great idea Phaedra. You make a good point of how useful the Internet is for general reference. I too google stuff first when I am unsure about something. Creating a Gracemor site would be a cool thing, especially since I went there myself back in the dark ages :-)

    ReplyDelete